An absolutely astonishing study published in the British Medical Journal showed that just four sleeping pills a year will triple your risk of dying! Taking 18 pills per year will quadruple your risk of death! And the study pointed out that certain medications are worse than others, with Ambien boosting the risk of an early death by 5.7 times, and Restoril by 6.6 times. That means sleeping pills are killing 500.000 Americans annually – just slightly below the numbers for heart disease and cancer!
If that message doesn’t keep you awake at night, nothing will. And although discussed last year, the newest information about “sleepers” makes it even more important that you do not embark on a regimen of sleeping pills without first exhausting all other treatments to get you to sleep and stay asleep without sleeping pills, either by prescription (Ambien, Restoril, Lunesta, Sonata, etc.) or over-the-counter pills?
To get good sleep, your brain and pineal gland chemistry (melatonin, serotonin, etc.) must be in balance. You will need plenty of quality protein which contains amino-acid nutrition like tryptophan. And you will need to correct treatment to address nervous insomnia. You know this one- you just can’t sleep because of your nerves.
The following paragraph was written by a top physician of his time. It seems almost comical that it was written in 1934! “Nervous insomnia, like many other conditions directly related to a lack of vitamins and minerals, has been considered a result of the high speed of modern civilization. It is quite true that overwork, worry, mental stress, etc., aggravate the ailment. But the real cause is lowered resistance to stresses, lowered stamina, and increased nervous irritability because of deficient nutrition.”
Given today’s state of our economy, the hustle-bustle world we live in, our ever-worsening health, our inept politicians, and the constant degradation of our food supply, the stresses of living are surely greater now than in 1934. Fortunately for us all, most of this stress, lowered stamina, and increased nervous irritability has its origin in nutritional deficiencies. And this can be fixed.
Test this Insomnia Protocol First
This is where you should start your insomnia protocol before getting hooked on sleeping pills. It is easy, cheap, not habit forming, and safe to first test the nutritional connection to insomnia. Here is what you can do.
- Eat a high protein dinner of fish, meat, etc. with vegetables. Remember your Grandmother’s cure for insomnia/ A glass of warm milk at bedtime. Of course her milk was real, raw, non-pasteurized, and non-homogenized.
- Skip the starch, processed foods, booze, coffee and tea at dinner. If you have a sweet for desert, keep it small and finish by 6pm.
- Do not eat or drink anything after 6pm. For millions of people a drop in blood sugar (caused by too many sweets and carbohydrate for or after dinner) wakes them up after a couple of hours of sleep. Instead eat quality protein and vegetables which will keep your blood sugar steady while feeding your pineal gland, your brain, and your production of melatonin and serotonin, all needed for good sleep. You will need to do this for at least 90 days for a good result.
- Add the anti-insomnia protocol. During this same time, and before embarking on all kinds of expensive, high-tech tests and prescription drugs, use the two products that make up the anti-insomnia protocol (Catalyn and Min-Tran).
- Use a melatonin supplement. If you can’t rebuild your own melatonin/serotonin balance with good nutrition, a melatonin supplement may help you sleep. Also Deep Breathing and Meditation before bed time will help you relax and quiet your nervous system.
- Exercise. Lots of folks sleep better after they exercise. A strong walk after dinner is often sufficient.
- Check your prescriptions. If you take several prescriptions, be sure to look them up in a Drug Handbook. Find out if they can, alone or in combination, cause insomnia.
- Check out a Sleep Center. Also very important –the latest studies show that Sleep Centers are now extremely helpful in getting you to overcome insomnia. Do not overlook this possibility.
In Summary: Change your diet for 90 days. Eat quality protein for dinner with little to no refined or processed carbohydrates, and nothing after 6pm. Fulfill nutritional deficiencies.
Check if prescriptions are causing the problem, exercise and use Deep Breathing.